Juan Alderete is an American bassist known for his work with the band The Mars Volta. Prior to his work with that band, he was known for playing in Racer X, where he received credit as John Alderete.
Let's look at some of the gear and equipment that has been seen in The Mars Volta bass players bass rig.
Click the gear images for more info and specs at Guitar Center and Amazon
- Lakland Skyline Darryl Jones
- Lakland Joe Osborn with Dark Star pickups
- fretless ’71 Fender Precision
- ’73 Fender Precision
- ’77 Fender Jazz
Amps and Cabinets
- 2 Ampeg SVT-VR heads
- 2 Ampeg SVT 810 cabs
Effects and More
- Juan uses TONS of effects including:
- Boss DD-3
- Boss LS-2
- Boss OC-2
- Boss PN-2 Tremolo Pan
- Boss VB-2 Vibrato
- Digitech Delay
- Digitech Whammy 4
- Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
- Electro-Harmonix Bass Micro Synthesizer
- Line 6 DL-4 Delay Modeller w/expression pedal
- Maestro Ring Modulator
- Micro Mutron
- Musitronics Mu-Tron III
- MXR Phase 100
- MXR Flanger
- MXR Bass Auto Q
- MXR Bass DI M-80
- Sovtek Fuzz
Strings and picks
- Ernie Ball medium roundwound bass strings
- uses fingers and also Dunlop Gel picks and his signature picks
Go to the next page for awesome pictures of Juan Aldeter's bass rig.
We were lucky enough to have professional photographer, Mark Gilliland, give us permission to use a photo he took of The Mars Volta's Juan Alderete's pedalboards. The picture was taken on April 17 2008. Checkout Mark's website at http://www.markgphoto.com/ - thanks Mark!
Look at all those pedals Juan has!
Click on a picture to enlarge it in a shadow box.