Derek Trucks is an American guitarist, bandleader of The Derek Trucks Band, and member of The Allman Brothers Band. Trucks has been called one of the new guitar gods.
Let's look at some of the gear and equipment that has been seen in Derek Trucks guitar rig.
Click the gear images for more info and specs at Guitar Center and Amazon
"Trucks avoids processing and effects, preferring to get the purest tone possible by connecting his guitar directly to his amplifier. He modifies his tone with the controls on the guitar."
- 1961 Reissue Gibson SG
- Washburn E300 (listed in a 2003 article)
- old airline guitar with built in amp (used for rythym sound on "Flood" recording)
- 1965 Fender Reverb
- 1968 Super Reverb (used as a backup amp)
- Leslie rotating speaker cabinets
- PRS Original Sewell amp head prototype through a Marshall 4x12 cabinet (used with Allman Brothers band and some solo work)
- Randall amps (used previously with Allman Brothers)
- Paul Reed Smith Blue Sierra head and Randall 4x12 cabinet (current with Alman bros)
- vintage Fender Deluxe and Fender Princeton (used on Already Free)
- (In his Fender amp) Pyle Driver MH1020 speakers
- Dunlop Pyrex Slide(large)
- DR Pure Blues electric Strings, custom gauge: (.011, .014, .017, .026, .036, .046)
- coricidine bottle style slides with heavy bottoms
- No Picks!
- Peterson Strobo tuner
Trucks doesn't need no stinkin pick:
"Trucks regularly plays without the use of a plectrum (pick). He generally plucks or strums (together or independently) with his thumb as well as his index, middle, and ring fingers."
(Quotes are from Wikipedia Derek Trucks page)
Go to the next page for excellent pictures of Derek Truck's Guitar Rig.
Big thanks go out to Joel Abbott for giving us UberProAudio permission to use some photo's he took of Derek Trucks amp. Thanks Joel! (Joel's pics are the one of the Fender amp)
Click the pictures of Derek Truck's gear to enlarge them fullsize in a shadow box.