Alexi "Wildchild" Laiho is the lead guitarist for the bands Children of Bodom (where he is also the vocalist), Sinergy and Kylahullut. He has also played with Thy Serpent and Impaled Nazarene on occasion, in addition to Warmen.
If you like metal and good music you'll like the stuff Alexi is involved in, especially Children of Bodom.
Let's look at some of the gear and equipment that has been seen in Alexi Laiho's Guitar Rig.
Click the gear images for more info and specs at Amazon
How Jackson lost: When Jackson was sold to Fender, it is said that Alexi was told that it would take one year for him to have a new custom guitar made. In comparison, ESP offered a deal that would take only three months, so he switched his endorsement to ESP. Alexander Kuoppala and Henkka Blacksmith also changed their endorsement.
- ESP LTD Alexi 600 guitar
- ESP Alexi Laiho Katakana guitars
Notes: Alexi has five ESP RV guitars (RV-350AL & RV-398AL) with these specifications: All Neck-thru Alder Bodies, Maple necks with White Bindings, 25.5 scale, 24 fret Ebony fretboards, Original Floyd Rose Tremolo systems, single volume control pots and mini switches (each have one for the active electronics except the XXX guitar), Gotoh tuners, single EMG Humbuckers in bridge positions (which he has recently replaced with Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackouts), MM04 or Jackson JE-1000 active gainboost electronics.
ESP also makes some lower cost Alexi Laiho 200 models:
- ESP Custom XXX: Black finish with yellow bevels, Seymour Duncan AHB-1 active humbucker, gold hardware, arrowhead inlays, "XXX" and "CKY" scratched on the body.
- ESP Custom White/Black Pinstripes: White finish with black pinstripes, EMG-HZ H4 humbucker, chrome hardware, scythe inlays.
- ESP Custom Black/White Pinstripes: Black finish with white pinstripes, EMG-HZ H4 humbucker, chrome hardware, reversed sawtooth inlays.
- ESP Custom Black/Purple Pinstripes: Black finish with midnight purple pinstripes, EMG-HZ H4 humbucker, black hardware, reversed purple sawtooth inlays (matching the pinstripes and ESP logo), COBHC written in pink on the back.
- ESP Custom Black/ White Pinstripes: Black finish with white pinstripes, Seymour Duncan AHB-1 active humbucker, chrome hardware, reversed sawtooth inlays.(
- ESP Custom Black/ Yellow Pinstripes: Black finish with yellow pinstripes, Seymour Duncan AHB-1 active humbucker, gold hardware, reversed sawtooth inlays.
Alexi used to play these guitars (He had some of these guitars stolen):
- Ibanez RG 220B
- Jackson Randy Rhoads Custom White Pinstripe
- Jackson RR Custom Green Pinstripe
- Jackson Randy Rhoads Custom "WildChild"
- EMG ALX Alexi Laiho HZ Humbucker/ABQ Pickup Set
Amps and Cabinets
- Marshall JVM amp
- ENGL Special Edition amplifier (seen using with a Marshall cab on EMG TV in 2009. Also uses other ENGL amps and is listed as a user on their site)
- ENGL E530 Tube Preamp
- Lee Jackson Perfect Connection GP-1000 preamp (from the 80's)
- VHT Two/Fifty/Two Stereo tube poweramp
- Marshall 1960B straight 4x12" cabs
- Krank amplifiers (since 2006)
- Ampeg SVT poweramp
- Alexi has used a Marshall JCM800 amp in his rig before. It was a Kerry King model
- Blackstar head (one of the amps used on Relentless Reckless forever)
- Peavey Classic 50/50 Power amp
- Peavey 5150
- Rocktron Velocity 300 power amp (the old 2U model)
- Engl E850/40 power amp
Effects and More
- Dunlop DB-01 Dimebag CryBaby From Hell wah
- Rocktron Intellifex chorus
- Tech 21 Sansamp PSA1 Preamp
- Korg DTR-1 Tuner
- Samson Power Brite Pro Power conditioner
- Shure UHF Marcad Diversity MKII wireless receiver (the below receiver should do the trick for you)
- RSP 2400 Hush/Enhancer/Exciter
- Boss SD-1 (eyewitness reports)
- Dunlop Chorus pedal (used on Relentless Reckless forever)
- Mad Professor "Electric Blue Chorus" pedal
Strings and Picks
- Alexi now has his own Signature DR electric strings with his picture on the box, 10-56 gauge.
- DR HiBeams (11-50)
- DR JH-10 Jeff Healey Tite-Fit (10-56)
- Dunlop Black Jazz III picks