Justin Chancellor is an English-born musician; currently the bass player for Tool and formerly of the band Peach. This guy provides the growling low end for Tool that we all love.
Let's look at what gear and equipment has been seen in Tool's Justin Chancellor Bass Rig.
Click the gear images for more info & specs at Musician's Friend
- Wal basses - Chancellor’s main bass is a Wal 4-string. The bass’s woods and electronics help create the midrange cut and punch for which he is known. Justin also has three other four-string Wals: a less midrangy copy of his main bass (used on Wings for Marie parts one and two), a Mach III with a greenburst finish (used on "Right in Two"), and a lined fretless with a walnut top (used in the second verse of "Lateralus").
- Music Man Stingray bass - Used on "Forty Six & 2", "H." and "No Quarter".
Amps and Cabinets
- Mesa Boogie cabinet 4x12
- Mesa Boogie cabinet 8x10
- Gallien-Krueger 2001RB head x2 (1 Dirty Channel, 1 clean Channel)
- Demeter Amplification VTBP-201S Bass Preamp running direct to PA
- Mesa Boogie M-2000 head
- Mesa Boogie M-Pulse
- Mesa Boogie Bass 400+
Effects and Pedals
- Guyatone VTX Tremolo (used in “Right in Two”)
- Digitech Bass Whammy - Used on "Eulogy" (fifth up/sixth up harmony), "Pushit(Live)" (fifth up/octave up harmony) "Third Eye (octave up)," "Schism" (octave up), Ticks and Leeches (fifth up/octave up harmony), "Lateralus" (octave up), "Disposition" (fifth up/octave up harmony), "Vicarious" (octave up harmony), "The Pot" (octave up) and "Right In Two"(fifth up/sixth up harmony). Note: This isn't made anymore. Checkout the guitar version pictured below:
- Tech 21 SansAmp GT2 Tube Distortion
- Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
- Boss BF-2 Flanger
- Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
- Guyatone BR-2 Bottom Wah Rocker Envelope Filter
- Colorsound Tone Bender Fuzz
- Foxx Fuzz/Wah/Volume
- Boss GEB7 Bass EQ - run into his 4x12 after the Turbo RAT for a grit channel, for a slight low end boost.
- Pro Co RAT Turbo Rat Distortion Pedal - run into Justin Chancellor's 4x12 before the GEB-7 for a grit channel.
- Crowther Prunes & Custard - Used on "The Pot" live.
- Lovetone Meatball Envelope Filter
- Lovetone Brown Source Overdrive
- Lovetone Wobulator Stereo Trem/Panner
- Lovetone Ring Stinger Ring Modulator/Octave Fuzz
- Line 6 FM4
- Red Witch Titan pedal
- Red Witch Pentavocal Trem
- MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
- Boss Chromatic Tuner pedal
- MXR Bass Envelope Filter
- Loop Bypass Box
- custom built tone generator
- Prescription Electronics Overdriver pedal
Strings and Picks
- Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky strings (.045, .065, .085, .110) - has been using for years
- Clayton 1mm picks